Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring Fever



Welcome to my first post of Gone Thrifting. Thrifting is an obsession compulsion passion of mine(ask anyone in my family), so it seems natural to write a blog about it. I know that I am not alone in this and I hope that some of you will share your finds, experiences, what you've done with your booty, even some before/after refinishing. I would like that very much.

Now that Spring is here (with garage sales and estate sales - yipee!), I am thinking about our deck and how to spruce it up for family gatherings and parties. I like to look around for ideas and inspiration before I go thrifting. I found quite a few that have got me thinking!




I like this industrial yellow stool at eclectic revisited, I think it would make a nice plant stand. ( I don't like the snow, we've have more than enough of it here!) This style of stool is not difficult to find and could easily be spray painted any color. With any item that you spray paint for use outdoors, make sure the paint is for exterior, so it can withstand the elements.



Curbly has a nice post about turning ikea candle holders into industrial lookling firepots.



I really like these outdoor lanterns from Houzz, talk about lighting ambience.I am going to be on the lookout for something similar I can fashion into one. Food for a future post?



Studio g has some inspirational photographs for outdoor decorating, I like the bullet style planter with the succulents 
in it.



Here's a great idea - use two matching planters with the smaller one as a base for a sculptured look. This idea came from this 



I love, love, love these benches from Made of New York, saw them on Studio g. Great idea, great design!



More from Made of New York



Also from Made of New York, this would be a great plant stand



I like the idea of different colored cheery chairs like these. This idea could apply to many different styles of outdoor chairs. These can be seen at Stardust Modern Design.



Nice mid century table & chair set from an etsy seller, Vintage Supply Co. This looks so cool and refreshing. If you go to Estate sales, don't forget to check the back yard and garage, that is where you will find items like these, usually in need of a paint job. But with outdoor spray paint at around $4.00 a can and some elbow grease, it is well worth the effort.




I would love to find a retro bullet planter, I saw these at 


I think I need to have multiple words to use for thrifting. Another one I use is junking, but some people don't like that. It doesn't bother me. What do you call it?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, some great ideas here Jil! Loving the first stool and the outdoor furniture from Vintage Supply! Miss Walker xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for being my first follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, nice yellow industrial stool!!!! and I love the name of your blog...
    will add you to my blogroll....
    maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Thanks for posting our products on your nice site!
    Stay Happy!
    John-Michael
    MADE of NEW YORK

    ReplyDelete