Friday, April 15, 2011

A Divine Experience

Decorating tastes and preferences can change over time. For the longest time my taste was country, antiques, some shabby chic too. But slowly I started liking modern, mid century modern, industrial and some japanese design. So what's a girl to do when she wants to make some big changes? Sell what you can and then donate the rest to Goodwill. 

It's not happening overnight. With four kids, college tuition, etc., funds are limited. It takes time to find things you like, want, need. This is where thrifting comes in and dammit, it works pretty well. 

For some time I've been looking for a pair of modern chairs for my living room to replace the old fashioned ones I have. My budget was $100 with the idea that they would be decent enough to use until I could afford to have them reupholstered. I found a pair I liked on craigslist and paid $80 for the pair. (The person who was selling them had gotten them from a friend who gave them to her and they weren't her taste.) The color is not my first choice, kind of a grayed purple, but I can definitely live with them. The chairs have good lines and are well constructed. Sorry if I'm going on here, but I'm trying to build momentum. I discovered after I got the chairs home that they are Baker Chairs. Pause. This is where the choir starts singing, because that is what I was hearing in my head. THIS IS WHY I THRIFT. Amen.









3 comments:

  1. OMG, I want them.. :)
    what a sweet deal...add some black accents to other areas of the house, like a zebra rug and pillows and voila!!! it will work...
    love the lines and shape..and good work on scoring Baker chairs!!
    maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find- they are lovely- I quite like the color- they don't look worn at all- nice to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete